Silent Facade

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Sand + Castle*

Got up early morning and drove my aunt's rickety car to Pusing to pick up Jacq who was visiting her relatives as well. After a 40 minutes drive and a couple of stops for direction, I finally rambled into the town.

Picking Jacq and our chaperon (don't ask further) up, we visited Kellie's Castle, located between Simpang Pulai and Pusing. As a child, whenever my family visited my granduncle and grandaunt in Sitiawan, we would drive pass this castle in the middle of a plantation. Ghost house, some of the locals call it.

I always wanted to visit it, but never got the chance. My mother would say, if I want to see a ghost, all I had to do was look into the mirror. Then I'ld see a lazy ghost.

..........

After 20 odd years, I got my chance.

Kellie's Castle


Kellie's Castle was built by Kellie Smith in 1909 as an extension to his bungalow on his rubber plantation near Batu Gajah. It has Islamic influences on its design as visible from the onion shaped windows.

Ruins of the original bungalow

Tennis Court



According to the a tag, the area above was supposed to be a rooftop tennis court if the castle was completed. I know, Scots (Kellie's one), the wind must have blown too much up their kilts to have such fancy ideas.

This reminds me of St Paul's Cathedral facade in Macau.



360 degree view from top of Kellie's Castle with a calefare thrown in.



Elevator Shaft


What was to be a lift shaft. Kellie died in Lisbon while there purchasing the lift.

posted by Cylee at 8:26 pm I