Silent Facade

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cushy Jobs

I went to the Municipal Administrative Service Centre to get my work permit done today. It’s a building with 3 floors of space littered with counters for various purposes (eg agricultural, environmental permits, building permits, immigration etc).

The expanse of space is largely used on behind the desks/counters area and left empty. There is hardly anyone applying for anything. The officers mostly just sat behind their counter and surf internet and chat on msn or QQ. You turn up at their counter and you’ll think you see Justice Bao because of how black their faces turn.

Those that I encountered or observed, service was at minimum, good service was almost non-existent.

My colleague told me many wished for this type of government job. Pay is relatively high and work is practically little. They go to work (is it even considered work?) and get to surf the internet, piss off people and knock off on the dot. These people don’t clamour for career progression, just an easy job. I won’t be surprised if some of them go by the entire day just surfing and not attending to a single customer.
posted by Cylee at 9:25 pm I